Other insurance policies for expatriates

Destination country

Other insurance policies for expatriates

  • Consider civil liability if you have children
  • Maintain your income with life insurance
  • You must take out local insurance for your home, car and professional life.

In addition to your
expatriate health insurance

Civil liability and legal protection for expatriates

Civil liability policies cover all material and immaterial damages that you or a member of your family may cause to a third party. Some schools require these policies in order to cover accidents that your children may cause. This is particularly the case with Agency for French Education Abroad (AEFE) schools.

In many countries, civil liability may be included in home insurance policies. However, this is not a general rule, and depending on your type of accommodation on arrival (hotel residence, furnished accommodation, shared accommodation, etc.), you may not immediately take out a policy of this type and therefore will not benefit from this coverage.
You will therefore need to be covered separately.

These policies are often supplemented with coverage for legal protection and assistance.
These policies provide for:
• Reimbursement of legal costs.
• An advance deposit, if necessary.
• Assistance with learning about local regulations or finding a lawyer.

These are offered as an option in expatriate health insurance policies. Don't hesitate to ask your expatriate health insurance advisor about this.

Life insurance

These policies cover death, incapacity for work and disability. They can be taken out in addition to health insurance or on their own.

Picto vidéo

For more information, consult our life insurance guide


Insuring your move

For everyday items

Relocation companies regularly offer insurance to cover damages to your belongings.
Taking out this coverage is strongly recommended.

Their price is calculated according to the declared value of each item. You are responsible for making this declaration. Do so carefully, because it will be essential when obtaining reimbursements for any damaged items.

Remember to take depreciation into account, because your insurer will not reimburse you the price of a new sofa for a sofa that is ten years old. There is no point in taking out coverage at full price for items that are already a few years old, because premiums are paid as a percentage of the declared value of these items.
In the event of damage, remember to make your claim within five days.

For jewelry, works of art, valuable objects

Traditional policies may not offer sufficient coverage, because they impose limitations on the value of these items. You may need to purchase specific insurance for the duration of your move.

It will certainly be necessary to take your jewelry with you when you travel and to inform your usual insurer so that they can provide a temporary extension of coverage in all locations.

However, beware of customs procedures if you do. You may have to pay high duties. It is important to bring the purchase invoices with you to avoid any complicated discussions at a time when you are already experiencing the stress of going through immigration.


Local insurance

With these types of insurance, claims management often requires recourse against a third party. In this case, several insurers may be involved and your insurer must be able to take legal action locally. There are also local regulations that require you to take out local coverage.

This is the case for the following types of insurance:

Home insurance

Landlords rarely require you to have home insurance because the landlord has insurance that covers the property and everything in it.

However, the landlord's insurance will not cover your personal property.

You will need to think about insurance if you want to cover your personal belongings against theft, fire, water damage, etc.

Car or motorcycle insurance

Even in countries where this type of insurance is not required by law, it is strongly recommended. Liability insurance does not cover traffic accidents which are your fault.

In many countries, insurers mark up rates for young drivers. This surcharge can be waived by submitting a driving record. Remember to ask your last insurer for a driving record before you leave. It may need to be translated into the local language.

Professional insurance

For people who work as freelancers (such as service providers and consultants). Clients are increasingly asking for a certificate of professional liability insurance, for example, to be able to work at the client's location.

It will be necessary to take out local insurance because civil liability insurance offered by expatriate insurance only covers your personal life.

Verified reviews 4.9/5